LYON, France (AP) - The United States won its record fourth Women's World Cup title and second in a row, beating the Netherlands 2-0 Sunday night when Megan Rapinoe converted a penalty kick in the second half and Rose Lavelle added a goal.
Rapinoe, the pink-haired U.S. captain who grabbed world-wide attention on and off the field, scored in the 61st minute after a video review determined Stefanie van der Gragt had fouled Alex Morgan with a kick to the shoulder in the penalty area.
Two days past her 34th birthday, Rapinoe slotted the ball past goalkeeper Sari van Veenendaal for her 50th international goal, her sixth of the tournament to win the Golden Ball as scoring leader. She struck a familiar victorious pose with arms outstretched,
Lavelle added a goal on an 18-foot left-footed shot in the 69th.
- US wins 4th World Cup title, 2nd in a row, beats Dutch 2-0
- North American trio beats Morocco to host 2026 World Cup
- Croatia reaches World Cup for 1st time, beats England 2-1
- Arch Madness: Blues win 1st Stanley Cup, beating Bruins 4-1
- Virginia beats Texas Tech to win 1st NCAA title
- Villanova dominates Michigan to win 2nd national title in 3 years
- Erin Hamlin preparing for World Cup and 2018 Winter Olympics
- Team USA loses to France in FIBA World Cup quarterfinals
- Local karate school wins national titles
- Colgate beats Bucknell 94-80 for Patriot League title