ILION – The union that represents the workers at Remington Arms in Ilion has endorsed Congresswoman Claudia Tenney in the race for the 22nd Congressional District.
Tenney, who was elected to the position in Nov. 2016, is seeking re-election this fall, and she’ll be running against Democratic Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi.
The endorsement announcement was made Monday morning at the United Mine Workers of America Local 717 headquarters in Ilion. The union leaders say they feel comfortable with what Tenney has done to support their jobs at Remington in the past, and they believe she will continue those efforts in the future.
Union leaders point in particular to Tenney’s efforts as a former state assemblywoman in fighting New York State’s gun law legislation known as the Safe Act, which was passed in 2013.
“It's very important about the 2nd Amendment, not only to protect our rights, but to protect our jobs – she's been adamant,” said Fran Madore, former president of UMWA Local 717. “The SAFE Act, she stood up with us, she was the only politician that stood up with us in Albany on the stage when we were down there, and actually it was four years ago in April."
"She's been a solid force for us, on the state level and the federal level. We're very confident in Claudia,” said Aaron Laventure, current president of UMWA Local 717.
Tenney said Monday morning that she’s also fighting to protect the UMWA pension. She co-sponsored the American Miners Pension Act to ensure that the nearly 87,000 UMWA retirees on the plan continue to receive their hard-earner pension.
Tenney also answered some questions Monday morning about what may happen following this past weekend’s events in Syria. Tune into the NEWSChannel 2 Live at Five Newshour and NEWSChannel 2 at 6 p.m. for more on that story from Gary Liberatore.
- Union representing Remington Arms workers endorses Tenney
- United Mine Workers of America endorses Tenney for re-election
- Remington Arms to furlough workers through rest of 2017
- Political view of Remington Arms furloughs
- Reaction to Remington Arms Declaring for Bankruptcy
- Tenney endorses Republican Chele Farley for US Senate
- UPDATE: Police make arrest after threat against Remington Arms
- Mental health evaluation ordered for former Remington Arms employee
- Fire crews quickly put out small fire at Remington Arms
- NRA Pres. endorses Tenney; NYS Professional Firefighters back Brindisi in 22nd