Lucio Gonzaga scored twice and Utica’s defense stifled the Blast en route to a 5-2 victory over Baltimore Sunday afternoon at the Adirondack Bank Center. Utica is now 2-0 in their inaugural season.
Utica went up 1-0 early when a shot from Gonzaga was deflected by a Baltimore defender and into the net. Slav Ubiparipovic hooked up with Andre Braithwaite for a beautiful give-and-go play for Ubiparipovic’s third goal of the year.
The second quarter was a back and forth affair, but neither team was able to find the net as Utica took their 2-0 lead into halftime.
The defensive battle continued early in the third quarter with the two teams exchanging long possessions with low shot attempts. Baltimore got on the board with a bicycle kick goal from Adriano Dos Santos at the 8:30 mark of the third quarter. Seconds later, Josh Hughes tied the game at two after a Utica turnover at midfield. Darren Toby put Utica back on top with a header five minutes later. Joey Tavernese’s power play strike doubled the lead with 1:55 to go in the third quarter.
Utica’s defense shut down the Blast in the final quarter and Gonzaga sealed the game with empty net goal with 1:07 to play.
Utica City returns to action Saturday, December 8 for a rematch with the Blast.
- Utica City FC takes down Blast in home opener
- Utica FC Home Opener at Adirondack Bank Center
- Utica City FC announces 2018-19 schedule
- Utica City FC dethrones Blast for Eastern Division regular season title
- Utica City FC signs its 'marquee player' for inaugural season
- Ryan Hall named first Utica City FC head coach
- Couple ties the knot at Utica City FC game
- Utica City FC re-signs Logan Roberts for two years
- Utica City FC's inaugural season comes to an end at the hands of the Baltimore Blast in heartbreaking fashion
- Through first five home games, Utica City FC ranks 4th in MASL for average attendance