Utica, N.Y. – The Major Arena Soccer League announced today that defender Darren Toby has been named MASL Defender of the Year.
“Honestly, when Tommy (Tanner) told me, I was shocked,” said Toby. “It’s a real honor for me. To be complimented and hear such good feedback from players, coaches, managers from along around the league, I’m very humbled.”
The veteran defender finished the year with a career-high 18 points (8-10-18) in 23 games with Utica City this season. He also led Utica in blocked shots with 37, finishing fourth in the league overall. Additionally, Toby chipped in with one assist and six blocked shots in three playoff games.
“Darren is very deserving of this award,” stated General Manager Tommy Tanner. “His work ethic and desire to always better himself everyday is a testament to winning defender of the year. Our organization is extremely proud of Darren for winning this award.”
- Utica City FC's Darren Toby named MASL Defender of the Year
- Ryan Hall, of Utica City FC, named MASL December coach of the month
- Through first five home games, Utica City FC ranks 4th in MASL for average attendance
- Ryan Hall named first Utica City FC head coach
- Utica City FC announces 2018-19 schedule
- Utica Comets' Darren Archibald undergoes successful surgery for cheek fracture
- Utica City FC signs its 'marquee player' for inaugural season
- Couple ties the knot at Utica City FC game
- Utica City FC takes down Blast in home opener
- Utica FC Home Opener at Adirondack Bank Center