STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Utica College Sports Dome Finally Inflated

The Utica College Sports Dome is finally inflated after collapse on March 14th, 2017.

Posted: Nov 24, 2017 8:09 PM
Updated: Nov 24, 2017 8:10 PM

UTICA- As the Utica College Sports and Recreation Dome got ready to reflate once again Friday, they ran into a little trouble with mother nature. According to project manager Eduardo Espinoza, the winds died down around 5:30 P.M. and the inflation process began.

“Once winds are over seven miles per hour I won’t send the dome up in the air,” said Espinoza, ASATI project manager. “It is unsafe and all this hard work could be thrown right out of the window.”

The group of roughly a dozen workers started the inflation process Friday night. The project started out slow with 75 percent of the dome inflating. The other 25 percent that didn’t inflate initially was due to the weight of the excess water.

“We have been bailing the water off for the past few hours,” said Espinoza. “We expect it to be fully up by the end of tonight.”

Although inside the dome might not be done yet, Utica College is excited to finally see it up.

“Oh it is exciting we have been waiting a long time almost a year,” said Dave Fontaine, Utica College Athletic Director. “Once it went down we were anxious to get it back up.”

The original dome collapsed on March 14 under the weight of Superstorm Stella. The difference between the dome which collapsed and the new one is a cross cable system.
“This new system will hopefully give the dome a bit more support,” said Fontaine. “It will have more of a distinct look too sort of like the Turning Stone Golf Dome.”

Utica College hopes to have the dome up and fully running by February 1st , 2018.

New York Coronavirus Cases

County data is updated nightly.

Cases: 2402248

Reported Deaths: 55131
CountyCasesDeaths
Kings31959210747
Queens30648510159
Suffolk2292863524
Nassau2078153259
Bronx2024086699
New York1625484608
Westchester1412202329
Erie998891887
Richmond859791908
Monroe787671157
Orange54852887
Rockland51090769
Onondaga46538722
Dutchess33960487
Albany28708369
Oneida26148553
Niagara22357385
Broome22102386
Saratoga18595191
Ulster16449272
Schenectady15434217
Rensselaer13483155
Putnam1192896
Chautauqua11190158
Oswego9862102
Chemung9277146
St. Lawrence9072119
Ontario864299
Steuben8633160
Cayuga8013101
Sullivan787982
Jefferson760171
Wayne709978
Cattaraugus683399
Genesee6176131
Herkimer6078117
Tompkins602459
Clinton583034
Madison549098
Fulton543398
Livingston526467
Montgomery5189133
Cortland489471
Warren476977
Columbia4719109
Tioga448467
Chenango424586
Otsego421351
Allegany407793
Washington403165
Greene401283
Wyoming395654
Orleans373584
Franklin364716
Lewis325236
Delaware313341
Seneca250659
Schoharie210320
Essex197729
Yates141926
Schuyler131116
Hamilton4093
Unassigned13835
Out of NY0292
Utica
Partly Cloudy
65° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 65°
Oneonta
Partly Cloudy
62° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 62°
Herkimer
Partly Cloudy
65° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 65°
Old Forge
Partly Cloudy
65° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 65°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
NEW Game Day Deals each week
Follow the 2021 Go the Distance Team - sponsored by Gilroy Kernan & Gilroy
Chapter Photofacial Therapy Giveaway
Looking for work or looking to hire? Check out the WKTV Job Fair!
Saluting Those Who Are Proud 2 Serve