WHITESBORO, N.Y. - The annual Mitchell Bonspiel events kicked off Thursday at the Utica Curling Club.
This is a historical event that has been held for over 130 years.
"So the Mitchell Bonspiel is a mens event that has been held since the 1880's and has been held in Utica for over 100 years," said Roger Rowlett, Utica Curling Club president.
The Utica Curling Club is one of the largest curling facilities in the eastern part of the United States.
"The curling facility here is terrific," said Rowlett. "We have six sheets of ice so we can hold large events and this particular event attracts people from all over the U.S. and Canada as well"
36 teams came out to play during this four day event. Many players come for the history and the game, but others have different reasons.
"The comradery in this curling club," said David Cragnolin, a long time club curler. "The friends that I've met and the men and woman I frequent in this club, I'm closer with than my immediate family."
"It's a lot of fun," said Rowlett. "It's the comradery, it's a team sport. It's one of the few sports where every member of the team contributes equally to each shot."
"Curling is a game with four people on a team, and the concept of curling is really pretty simple," said Cragnolin.
It may seem simple, but if you'd like to try it yourself, the Utica Curling Club president encourages the public to give it a try.
Finals are Sunday, anyone is welcome to watch. It starts at 11:30 a.m.
In February, there will be special curling instruction classes on the 6th, 13th, and 20th. The classes will be held from 6 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. It will be $60 to attend.
- Utica Curling Club hosts Mitchell Bonspiel
- Utica Curling Club hosts historic Gordon International Bonspiel
- 34th annual Raymond Kayser Bonspiel kicks off at Utica Curling Club
- Utica Curling Club to host open house Saturday
- Learn how to curl with the Utica Curling Club
- Curling Club holds Olympic Open House
- Olympic Gold means big turnout for Utica Curling Club Olympic Open House
- Mug Club: Utica Zoo Eggstravaganza