SEVERE WX : Flash Flood Watch - Flood Advisory View Alerts
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

UPD, DPW outline budget needs to Common Council finance committee

UTICA, N. Y.-- The finance committee for the Utica Common Council met with the last of the city's department heads Tuesday night.

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 11:12 PM
Updated: Feb 28, 2018 1:02 AM

UTICA, N. Y.-- The finance committee for the Utica Common Council met with the last of the city's department heads Tuesday night.

The committee's goal for each hearing is to get an accurate assessment of the wants and needs from each department's budget request, submitted in the fall.

Tuesday night's meeting involved two of the city's most expensive departments: police and public works.
 
"My trifecta is manpower, salt and equipment," Dave Short, Utica's DPW Commissioner said.  "If any one of those three in my department is lacking, I have a hard time doing my job."

The first two portions of Short's described necessities are covered by the operational budget, which he said is relatively untouched by the council. The third portion involves more campaigning by the DPW.

"Most of my needs and wants are usually based out of my capital plan," Short said. "That involves equipment, trucks. We are replacing older equipment with newer equipment. That may be a new mower for the parks department to replace an old mower, or to replace an old snowplow truck with a new snowplow truck. So far in this administration, we've been very, very proactive in replacing equipment and it's gone a long way. So, I'm hoping to continue that this year."

Even with the mild winter, Short said unexpected shifts in the weather require more resources to keep roadways safe.

"You never know what Mother Nature is going to do," Short said. "You saw that last year with winter storm Stella. The Department of Public Works, if they're not operating at peak capacity, every other department suffers."

The police department faces a similar situation; their operational budget is more or less set, but their equipment requests need the council's stamp of approval.

"It isn't necessarily about the 90% of the stuff that's given for contractual items, it's the other 10% that we need to be able to run our department," said UPD Chief Mark Williams. 'We have cars in our fleet right now that are being used on a regular basis, that have well over a hundred thousand miles, so they need to be replaced. It makes no sense to have highly trained police officers and not be able to give them the equipment they need to do their job."

New York Coronavirus Cases

County data is updated nightly.

Confirmed Cases: 416843

Reported Deaths: 32719
CountyConfirmedDeaths
New York City22596423550
Suffolk433951997
Nassau433802194
Westchester360141446
Rockland13885674
Orange11096489
Erie8626669
Monroe4790277
Dutchess4543153
Onondaga3490200
Albany2531126
Oneida2090112
Ulster203191
Sullivan148348
Niagara144998
Putnam143363
Broome106464
Schenectady103737
Rensselaer74030
Saratoga73317
Columbia52337
Madison40117
Ontario35134
Warren30033
Orleans29554
Steuben29242
Greene28918
Fulton28524
Genesee2735
St. Lawrence2624
Washington25514
Oswego2483
Wayne2473
Herkimer2464
Chautauqua2349
Tompkins2300
Chenango2116
Tioga19025
Livingston1678
Chemung1633
Cattaraugus1626
Montgomery1604
Cayuga1482
Jefferson1340
Clinton1274
Otsego1145
Wyoming1135
Delaware1044
Cortland920
Seneca863
Allegany751
Schoharie680
Essex550
Yates557
Franklin500
Lewis350
Schuyler220
Hamilton70
Unassigned00
Utica
Overcast
70° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 63°
Feels Like: 70°
Oneonta
Broken Clouds
66° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 62°
Feels Like: 66°
Herkimer
Overcast
70° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 64°
Feels Like: 70°
Thendara
Overcast
70° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 70°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
Click here to learn more about A Healthier Mohawk Valley
Ask EPLC Sweepstakes
Saluting Those Who Are Proud 2 Serve
Senior Send-Off brought to you by Herkimer College
WKTV Golf Card - Under 150 left