UTICA, N.Y. -- The accused killer in the Tilden Avenue double homicide has been released from the hospital, and was charged with the deaths of two Utica women.
The Oneida County District Attorney's Office says 29-year-old Naythen Aubain is charged with two counts of first-degree murder. He is currently being held at the Utica Police Station, pending arraignment Tuesday night at 7 p.m.
Aubain was treated in intensive care at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center due to injuries he sustained after crashing a car into a pole on Bleecker Street Sunday night.
He is accused in the death of his 90-year-old grandmother, Katherine Aubain, and 87-year-old landlord Jane Wentka, who lived in the downstairs apartment on Tilden Ave.
His grandmother's remains were found in a shallow grave in Clayville, in a remote area. It was there that they also found a dead dog, with her body. Wentka's body was found in her apartment.
Aubain does have a criminal past, he was most recently charged back in August of 2018 of harassment and criminal obstruction of airway. Utica police say that incident did involve his grandmother.
There are three separate crimes scenes, that police say they collected evidence from.
Police are still awaiting a positive identification of the remains found from the medical examiner, because both bodies were mutilated.
There is a potential for life without parole if Aubain is convicted of killing both women.
District Attorney Scott McNamara's Office is conducting the investigation with the understanding that there may be a psychiatric defense.
- Alleged killer officially charged in deaths of grandmother, landlord
- Third victim: Utica man accused of killing grandmother, landlord hit with attempted murder charge too
- Man accused of killing grandmother, elderly landlord in Utica pleads not guilty
- Police: Body found believed to be grandmother of alleged Utica killer
- Utica man pleads not guilty to murder, arson charges in grandmother's death
- Utica man accused in grandmother's death pleads not guilty
- Grandmother foils Washington school shooting plot
- Utica man to be charged with murder after grandmother dies from injuries
- FBI, divers, state officials search for 3-year-old boy who disappeared from his grandmother's backyard
- Convicted killer to spend decades behind bars for mother's death in Utica