Tenants at a Utica apartment complex say crime is rampant, and management-nowhere to be found.
"Our biggest concern is we do not have any management for about six to seven months. And there's nobody in the office who can help us out," said Spiro Gasperinatos, President of the Tenant's Association. "We're left here all ourselves."
Tenants here say an absence of management has made for a free-for-all in the complex they call home.
"Because we have no management, so everybody in the city feel like they can come here and do whatever," says tenant, Opal Wyatt. "People don't deserve to live in fear."
Wyatt volunteered to be security patrol for the complex and her fellow concerned tenants; to keep an eye on things and call police or emergency medical personnel, if necessary.
"I told them since there's no security, I'll step up to the plate and start immediately," said Wyatt, outside the complex, Wednesday afternoon.
September has brought a new problem: false fire alarms.
"We have three fire alarms every day," said Gasparinatos, who expressed concern for disabled residents who must struggle down flights of stairs during false alarms, because the elevators won't work during alarms.
"There are issues with false alarms. There have been about a dozen since April, like I say, and six in September alone," said Utica's fire chief, James Barefoot. "The people that do it must know that these activities can be felonies depending on how severe the act causes damage or suffering." Utica's fire marshal and police are aware and investigating.
Just inside the building's main door, the office: a closed door to a dark, empty room. Calls to the Utica complex, as well as Longley-Jones Management, out of Syracuse, failed to reach a live person. A voicemail message was not returned by the end of business, Wednesday.
"We're stuck here. We're in limbo," said Gasparinatos.
- Utica apartment complex tenants say crime is rampant; management-absent
- West Street Apartments complex opens in Utica
- Utica Zoo looks for new concessions tenant
- Tenants of the Jeffrey Hardware Apartments reporting poor conditions
- Kelly absent from show following blackface comments
- Roosevelt residences in Utica almost ready for tenants
- Unknown how long elevator at Utica apartment complex will be out of service
- Possible third tenant at 5S Business Park
- NY to probe claims Kushners harassed tenants
- A sneak peek at the West Street Apartment Complex