UTICA, NY – Tomato pie.
It’s one of many Utica food-based traditions.
I Love Utica helped celebrate the local tradition Saturday with the 2nd annual Tomato Pie Day.
The event was held at the Parkway Rec Center in Utica.
Admission to the event included free samples of tomato pie from area pizzeria’s and bakeries.
There was also face painting, a magician and a special performance from the House of Good Shepherd’s Hand Drum Ensemble.
I Love Utica’s Jay Sumner believes tomato pie is a way of life in Utica.
“Tomato pie is never going anywhere. It’s there for every birth. It’s there when somebody dies. It’s there at our graduations, our birthday parties, and it’s usually there every Sunday.”
Those who attended the event, voted for Roma’s Sausage & Deli as having the best tomato pie.
- Utica celebrates Tomato Pie Day
- Newstalk:Tomato Pie Day
- Thousands attend Tomato Pie day in Utica
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Fresh Tomato Pie recipe
- Everything you need to know about this year's Tomato Pie Day in Utica
- Utica celebrates May Day
- New Hartford native Matt Abdoo talks tomato pie on Today Show
- Utica Celebrates World Refugee Day
- Utica Zoo celebrates National Hedgehog Day
- Celebrating St. Joseph's Day in Utica