UTICA, NY – A local church is changing its service schedule after its priest tested positive for coronavirus on Monday.
St. Mary of Mount Carmel/Blessed Sacrament Church on Jay Street announced Father Jim Cesta has tested positive for COVID-19. The church, through a post on its website, says Father Cesta “...is feeling OK and doesn’t have any major symptoms,” but will quarantine and monitor symptoms through December 14.
Because of the positive test, the church announced several changes to their weekly schedule. Some of these changes include:
- Morning Mass has been canceled at least through Friday, Dec. 11.
- As of now, Weekend Masses will continue.
- Thursday’s “Spirit of the Season” event is canceled.
- The parish office is closed to the public at least through Dec. 11. You can call 315-735-1482 and leave a message and someone will get back to you.
- Recording of the 4:30 p.m. Saturday Mass is suspended for now.
The church says it will continue its safety protocols and will notify the congregation of any changes. Anyone who was in contact with Father Jim or attended any mass last weekend should monitor their health and symptoms for 14 days.