UTICA, N.Y. --Family and friends remember a woman whose body was found in a shallow grave in Clayville last week.
The family of Katherine Aubain invited the community to a vigil outside the home at 1147 Tilden Avenue, where authorities say they found Aubain's landlord dead.
Aubain's grandson is the alleged killer. Naythen Aubain, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder.
NEWSChannel 2's Callihan Marshall spoke to family members, who made the trip from Arizona, for the candlelight vigil, and to be at her funeral services.
She says Katherine's granddaughter, Kathleen Aubain, remembers her grandmother as a pure soul, who never missed a day of church. The family says they have no words for circumstances surrounding her death.
Long time friends described Katherine as someone who genuinely cared. "I've known Kathy for 29 years and she's just a great great person," said Debbie Wagschal.
Several people brought items with them to be laid down in front of the home to make a memorial.
Aubain's Granddaughter Kathleen said her grandma would be happy seeing all the people who loved her. "She's enjoying looking down on us right now, getting to see everyone together as a family, and everyone celebrating her and cherishing her life," she said.
A close family friend said Katherine would have wanted everyone to be forgiving of what happened. "We've made comments about how she would want us to be forgiving and understanding at this time as hard as it is for all of us and as angry as we are." She added, "We just hope that she's resting peacefully."
- Loved ones, community remember Utica double homicide victim
- Complaint: Utica double homicide suspect admitted to stabbing both victims, disposing bodies
- Funeral arrangements set for 17-year-old Utica homicide victim
- Waterville community remembers transgender teen
- Utica double homicide suspect attending 'Mental Health Court' at time of killings
- Loved ones remember Wayne Smoulcey for committing his life to his community
- UPDATE: Otsego County sheriff provides more details on double homicide
- Prosecutor: Chili's double homicide suspect sought to kill 2 more
- Fifth person charged in double homicide at Chili's
- Jury selection starts in NY man's double homicide trial