UTICA – The Utica man accused of making a terroristic threat against Utica College appeared in court Thursday on unrelated charges.
Fahrudin Omerovic is accused of using someone else’s credit card to purchase two vacuum cleaners, totaling $564.18, which he then had delivered to the Utica College bookstore under his name. Last month, Omerovic was indicted on charges of felony identity theft and misdemeanor petit larceny.
In Oneida County Court on Thursday, the judge said that the defense is entitled to certain hearings if the case goes to trial. Right now, Omerovic is undergoing evaluation.
"These alleged acts are incongruous with his character, his reputation, the sacrifices he’s made for his family. It simply just does not add up," said John Raspante, Omerovic's defense attorney. "That’s why he is being evaluated right now, and I think that’s important. Maybe we’ll have some answers. But the evaluation is a significant, lengthy process. So, my hope is that we will have answers, answers for the community, answers for the court. And hopefully reach a just disposition for everyone involved.”
Both the defense and prosecution will return to court on July 17 for possible disposition.
Omerovic is also charged with two counts of felony making a terroristic threat in a separate case after he allegedly called Utica College back in March and made threats over the phone, saying he had a gun and was on campus. Omerovic rejected a plea deal in that case and he is now headed to trial.
- Utica man accused of threatening UC appears in court in identity theft case
- Man accused of threatening UC indicted for alleged identity theft
- Man accused of threatening UC appears in court for Huntley Hearing
- Man accused of threatening Utica College appears in court on unrelated charges
- Utica man accused of killing girlfriend's baby appears in court
- Man accused of killing girlfriend in Utica misses court appearance
- Man convicted of Utica College threat pleads guilty in identity theft case
- Mug Club: Identity Theft Presentation
- Utica man accused of killing homeless man in 2016 appears in court
- Man accused of making threats against Utica College appears in court