UTICA – A man accused of killing a homeless man more than two years ago was has been arraigned on murder and weapons charges.
22-year-old Raekwon Winston of Utica is charged in connection with the death of 60-year-old Lawrence “Larry” Edwards. Edwards was found dead on May 7, 2016 at 301 Rutger Street in Utica, near the intersection with John Street.
Utica Police say they determined Edwards was killed from a gunshot wound. Police say their homicide investigation began when Edwards was found dead in a car in a parking lot behind the home.
"It's been a long road. Our investigators from our major crimes unit and our criminal investigation division have been working together along with the District Attorney's office and Oneida County to put this case together. We felt that it was time to put it together in front of a grand jury, and we felt we had enough to secure charges against Mr. Winston," said Utica Police Lt. Bryan Coromato.
Wednesday, an Oneida County grand jury voted to indict Winston on one count of second degree murder and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon. Police say Winston was arrested Thursday without incident and arraigned Friday morning in Oneida County Court.
- Utica man charged with murdering homeless man in 2016
- Utica man accused of killing homeless man in 2016 appears in court
- Utica man faces rape charges
- Man charged with murder in death of Utica teen
- Utica man charged in trademark counterfeit investigation
- Utica man charged in Hopper Street crash
- Utica man charged with attempted robbery
- Utica man charged in Cornhill shooting incident
- Utica man charged with child sex abuse