VERONA, NY - Area athletes battled it out on the hardwood Saturday, and it was all for a good cause.
The 4th annual Coaches & Officials vs Cancer took place at V.V.S. High School.
64 teams, both boys and girls, participated in the preseason tournament at the three different courts located throughout the school.
Each team that participated was responsible for raising their own money for the event.
Barry VanDreason, who helped organize the event, says cancer is something that affects everyone.
"There's not a person in here in this school building that hasn't been affected by cancer and that's where we started from. Our national organization asks us every year to donate to the national cancer society, so that's how we started it 4 years ago, how bout we keep it local so we came up with this event and its grown every year and we want to keep the money local in Madison and Oneida county."
All of the officials for the tournament donated their time for the event.
The money raised stays right here to help fight cancer in Central New York.
- VVS hosts 4th Annual Coaches & Officials vs. Cancer
- Lions coach, VVS grad Matt Patricia denies 1996 assault allegation
- Hamilton College Hosts the 4th annual Yoga Festival
- Utica College hosts 4th annual Relay for Life
- Oneida teen arrested following VVS threat investigation
- 4th annual American Red Cross Giving Day
- VVS School works to ease fears, curb misinformation
- Social media threat made against VVS, deputies say not credible
- Holland Patent boys, VVS girls crowned tournament champs
- Bus crashes in Vernon with 19 VVS students on board