WHITESBORO- The Chief for the Whitesboro Fire Department believes the fire may have started by carelessly discarding smoking material.
Crews were called to 135 Main Street in Whitesboro on Saturday afternoon.
The Fire Chief said St. John's Episcopal Church owned the vacant property. He said he believes there were squatters and no one was inside at the time.
Crews were able to knock down the flames in about 10-20 minutes.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Vacant property catches fire in Whitesboro
- RAW VIDEO: Student's car catches fire at Whitesboro High School
- Crews battle fire at vacant Dolgeville home
- Fire at vacant building on South Street
- Vacant house gutted by fire in Sherrill
- Veterans Recognized in Whitesboro
- Whitesboro Street Demolition
- Retired Whitesboro fire chief nationally recognized
- Multiple crews on-scene of Whitesboro fire
- Chief Sobel retires from Whitesboro Fire Department