LAS VEGAS – A preliminary investigative report about the Oct. 1, 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada does not reveal a motive for gunman Stephen Paddock’s actions, but it does shed a little more light on how he planned the attack.
Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told reporters Friday the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department was “going against normal protocols” by issuing the report due to public interest in the case.
Sheriff Lombardo said it’s still believed that Paddock acted alone in the largest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
"I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more,” Lombardo said. “All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the October massacre. There was only one person responsible and that was Stephen Paddock."
Lombardo said they do not anticipate charges being brought forward against Paddock’s girlfriend, but the FBI does have an ongoing case against an individual of federal interest.
Lombardo said the department recovered extensive search history about SWAT tactics and ballistics, and “recovered numerous photographs of child pornography.” He said there was no radical ideology found in the investigation.
After the press conference, CNN mentioned to Lombardo that he had previously said Paddock committed the attack for status and loss of money. Lombardo said he was comfortable with answering that “could be” the motive.
Authorities have determined 422 people suffered injuries as a direct result of gunfire, and another 851 people suffered other injuries in the attack.
Lombardo also said he thinks Paddock took his own life because he “believed the wolf was at the door,” or he believed police were close to closing in on him.
(Information from CNN)