VERNON - The Town of Vernon has once again denied a permit to the promoters of Woodstock 50 to hold the concert at Vernon Downs next month.
At a meeting Tuesday night, planning board members voted to reject Woodstock 50's appeal of a previous decision. Promoters have been trying for weeks to fill out the necessary paperwork to hold an anniversary concert at the racetrack August 16-18.
Woodstock 50 released the following statement in response to the decision.
"Woodstock 50 is disappointed that the Town of Vernon has passed up the opportunity to hold the historic 50th Anniversary Festival by denying our robust and thoughtful proposal. We regret that those in Vernon who supported Woodstock have been deprived of the once-in-a-lifetime chance to be part of the rebirth of a cultural peace movement that changed the world in 1969 and is what the world needs now. We want to thank the artists who stood by us. We are grateful for the support of Vernon Downs and its generous owner Jeffrey Gural."
When asked if he would try again to gain a permit, Woodstock founder Michael Lang replied, "I won't try again here".
Several elected officials, including the Oneida County Executive and Sheriff, have voiced their opposition to the concert on the grounds that it would be too difficult to properly plan for in a short amount of time.
County Executive Anthony Picente issued a statement Tuesday night, reacting to the town's decision:
“I’m pleased with the decision of the Town of Vernon Planning Board to uphold the town codes officer’s decision denying Woodstock 50 a permit. As I’ve said earlier, inadequate planning and a dangerously truncated timeframe made having this event in less than 30 days from today impossible and irresponsible.”
- Vernon Planning Board denies Woodstock 50 appeal
- Woodstock 50 to appeal town of Vernon's denied permit
- Town of Vernon denies Woodstock 50's third application
- Woodstock 50 not giving up on Vernon
- UPDATE: Town of Vernon denies permit to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs
- Woodstock 50 files appeal, reapplication, with town
- Woodstock 50 planning on filing 500-page appeal Thursday
- Vernon Downs in the running for Woodstock 50 venue
- Griffo weighs in on Vernon Downs-Woodstock 50 filing
- Woodstock 50 submits another application with town of Vernon