Photo Gallery 1 Images
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The names of 28 firefighters have been added to the New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial in downtown Albany.
The newest of the 2,552 names on the memorial were dedicated Tuesday during the 21st annual ceremony in the Empire State Plaza Convention Center. Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul attended the event.
The memorial honors New York state firefighters who have died in the line of duty.
One of the names added to the memorial is Merle L. Nell, who was fire police captain for the Volunteer Fire Company of Vernon. Nell, who served with the department for 51 years, collapsed on the scene of a fire on Nov. 26, 2016, and died shortly after.
Of the 28 names being added to the memorial, 22 were members of the Fire Department of New York.
Last year, officials began adding to the memorial the names of FDNY members who died of illnesses after working in the rubble of the World Trade Center after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. State officials say out of the 22 FDNY members added to the memorial, 20 worked at Ground Zero.
To view the full list of firefighters added to the Fallen Firefighters Memorial, click here.
- Vernon man among 28 names added to NYS Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- 28 names being added to NYS Fallen Firefighters Memorial
- Vernon man facing animal cruelty charges
- 51 names being added to Police Officers' Memorial in Albany
- New York troopers memorialize fallen comrades
- Vernon Downs prepares for upcoming racing season
- Vernon Center residents discuss contaminated water issue
- Man killed, teen injured in head-on crash in Vernon
- Canastota man accused of raping child in Vernon
- Fallen NY state trooper posthumously honored with award