UTICA- A year long, multimillion-dollar project now coming to a close. The Veterans Outreach Apartments opened with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The Apartments are for homeless veterans in the community. There are 18 in total, 14 being one apartment and four are studios.
"They're beautiful, and you know a veteran that needs a place to live, there should be no reason that we have any veterans on the streets this winter in Utica.” Said Executive Director Vincent Scalise.
Those interested in getting into one of these apartments have to go through a process first. Officials with the Veterans center say you just need to meet a certain criterion, you are a veteran who is homeless.
Depending on the individual’s financial situation certain fees may apply with the apartments. Some of the fees may be a percentage of the utilities, but officials stressed that even if a person has no income, they will be housed regardless.
” Some people have no income at all so they will be subsidized. They might be homeless but still have an income so it will be a percentage. : Fees are needed because obviously there is cost to operate with utilities and such. But it’s not like oh he has no money we won’t take him that’s now how it works. Everybody will be housed.” Said Executive Director Vincent Scalise.
All of the furniture and other items that will be found in the apartment have all been donated by the local community.
The apartments at the outreach center are finished, but the outreach center still needs to work some minor things out with the state.
The Outreach Center says they will start filling rooms at around December 1st.
The Outreach Center also wants you to reach out to them if you know a homeless veteran in need of housing.
- Veterans Outreach Center Apartments Now Open
- Tenney makes donation to Veterans Outreach Center
- CNY Veteran's Outreach Center holds annual open house
- Veterans Outreach Center holds 'Day of Service' for local veterans
- Renovations to Veterans Outreach Center gym now complete
- White Party raises money for CNY Veteran's Outreach Center
- A sneak peek inside the newly renovated Veterans Outreach Center
- Mug Club: Veteran's Outreach Center Holiday Baskets & Services
- Consider donating broken Christmas lights to CNY Veterans Outreach Center