HERKIMER, NY - Just when it looked like everything was full speed ahead with plans to build a new county jail in Herkimer, there seems to be a new bump in the road.
At Monday's Village Board of Trustees meeting, the Herkimer Village Planning Board requested that a cease and desist letter be sent to the Herkimer County Legislature to halt all planned construction activities on the jail.
The Board of Trustees voted 3 to 2 in favor of sending the letter.
Village of Herkimer Planning Board Chairman, Brion Carroll says the county needs to follow the village's 2017 site plan review law before proceeding any further.
"I'd like to see the county come back with a site plan that we can review as a team. We want to participate and collaborate on what they're trying to do. What it is the site plan defines as how they're going to execute it and come to an agreement that it fits the requirement of the jail, it fits the requirements of the village, and it's actually a long-term solution for what they're trying to put in place."
The county says they are not required to adhere to the village's site plan law.
- Village of Herkimer issues cease and desist letter for county jail
- Feher Rubbish Removal ceases operations
- BOIL WATER ADVISORY: Village of Herkimer
- Herkimer County Jail plans continue to progress
- Herkimer county residents tour 1834 jail
- Construction continues on new Herkimer County Jail
- Village of Herkimer Master Plan 2020 is now a reality
- Herkimer mayoral candidates discuss future plans for village
- Herkimer Legislature moves forward on jail site
- Herkimer County Legislature subcommittees approve concrete-style jail