Utica, N.Y. - Many woke up on Sunday, knowing they had to head outside and do something they simply aren't used to doing this winter, shoveling and snow blowing.
It's been a rather snow-free winter so far here in the winter of 2019-2020, but on Saturday most of Central New York saw several inches of snow, and in some spots, up to a foot.
In Utica, measurements came in at about 5.5 inches.
Richard Hillman was out snow blowing his driveway Sunday morning in Utica. He says this is only the third time this season he's had to use the snow blower, "That's the way it is now in Utica. We've been getting used to it for the last five or six years, we get more rain now in the winter then we get snow."
Tim Bushey was out shoveling his driveway in Utica and says he's enjoyed the rather snow-free winter up to now "Very nice, lots of long walks and stuff like that. I knew winter was coming, we might as well get it done and get it over with, winter is half over anyways."
- Waking up to shovel several inches of snow? Something rather unusual this winter.
- Shoveling snow can be dangerous
- Winter Storm Warning in effect, several inches of snow likely
- Shovel snow smarter to avoid back pain
- Another inch of snow in Forestport
- Snow to subside but not before dropping 5 to 14 inches of snow in CNY
- Snow, snow, snow
- Unusually sunny stretch of weather continues
- Tips for heart health when shoveling, surviving the cold
- Little Falls 'Gingerbread' took shoveling to another level this weekend