Little Falls, N.Y. - On Friday, the Herkimer County Office of Emergency Services along with the Herkimer County Public Health Department announced that a total of six agencies in Herkimer County would open their doors to those in need of a little warm up, and on Saturday, we have heard those warming shelters are already being used.
A worker at the Little Falls Y.M.C.A. told News Channel 2 that some elderly folks who were out walking Saturday morning stopped in to get warm before they heading back out to continue on their walk.
Diane Ward, a nurse with Community Health in Herkimer says she helped make contact with the local agencies and says with the bone-chilling temperatures we've been seeing and are expected to continue to see for an extended period of time, it makes it difficult for people who do not have transportation to get to the places they need to get to, "These are for the people that might be out walking that don’t have transportation. I know we have limited mass transportation here in Herkimer County, so walking for a lot of our residents, especially in the village of Herkimer, is the only option that they have."
The following locations will be open to the public for the next couple of cold weather months :
Village of Frankfort Office Building, 110 Railroad St., Frankfort. Mon. - Fri. 8:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Mohawk YMCA, 83 East Main St., Mohawk. Mon-Thur 8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M., Fri. 9:00 A.M.- 5:00 P.M., Sat. 9:00 A.M.- 3:00 P.M.
Baslow Library in Herkimer, 235 North Main St., Herkimer. Mon-Wed 9:00 - 8:00, Thur-Fri 9:00 - 5:00, Sat. 9:00 - 3:00
Little Falls Library, 15 jackson St., Little Falls. Mon-Thu 7:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M., Sat. 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.
Teh Dolgevilel Manheim Library, 24 N. main St., Dolgeville. Mon-Wed & Fri. 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., Thur. 11:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.
For more cold weather safety questions, you can contact the Herkimer County Public Health Department at (315) 867-1176.
- Warming shelters in Herkimer County are already being used
- Warming stations available in Herkimer County this week
- Two more ‘Warming Stations’ now open in Herkimer County
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Water rescue in Herkimer County
- Animal trouble in Herkimer County
- Herkimer County Envirothon competition held
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Herkimer Mayor to the Herkimer County IDA : "Take responsibility"
- Election Day 2017: Herkimer County races