OLD FORGE, N.Y. -- The Herkimer County Industrial Development Agency will hold a public hearing for later this month on an expansion project at Enchanted Forest Water Safari that replaces two rides – with three new rides.
The cost of the expansion would be $3 million.
The IDA is working with the Empire State Development Council to assist with the project.
The IDA is offering to provide assistance for the project through its sales and mortgage tax incentives.
The executive director of the IDA says the payment-in-lieu-of-taxes being offered for the project will only be effective for the section where the expansion will take place on the property.
“It ties in perfectly with the governor's message to bring tourism to Upstate New York get people from other states, other areas, even Canada, it's a great opportunity for northern Herkimer County, really all of Herkimer County,” said John Piseck, the IDA executive director.
A public hearing is taking place July 22 at 11 a.m. at the Webb Town Hall in Old Forge. Right now, approval needs to come from Albany.
Water Safari Vice President & Director of Marketing Katie Wojdyla sent News Channel 2 a statement on Wednesday saying the following, "We always strive to provide the best experience for our guests. We are looking into a new water slide project for next year, however nothing has been finalized and details are still being worked out. We are hoping to have some exciting news to share as soon as we have confirmation and details worked out."
- UPDTATE : Will Water Safari replace two rides with three new ones in $3M expansion?
- Enchanted Forest Water Safari saying goodbye to two water rides
- 'Main dish' of Old Forge tourism, Water Safari, waiting on state for possible expansion
- Demolition begins at Enchanted Forest Water Safari
- Enchanted Forest Water Safari to open this week
- Oneonta water valve replacement to impact water supply
- Enchanted Forest Water Safari makes list of top US water parks
- Water Safari now ranked as one of the best water parks nationally, worldwide
- Oswego Co. man accused of dispute outside Water Safari, resisting arrest
- Ready to get wet? Enchanted Forest Water Safari opens for 2019 season