Syracuse, N.Y. - Waterville upset previously undefeated and #1 seeded Brookfield 52-45 to capture the Section III Class D girls basketball title at the Carrier Dome, Thursday.
Sophie Wittenbeck scored a game-high 18 points for the Indians and earned the Tournament MVP for her performance throughout.
For Brookfield, Madilyne Kupris lead the way with 14 points, and made the all-tourney team. They finish a remarkable season at 20-1.
Waterville, the 15 ranked team in the state, now moves on to face Section X champ Edward-Knox in the region final on Saturday, March, 10 at Onondaga Community College.
In the Class C Final, #2 Little Falls fell to Syracuse Academy of Science 63-42, as the Atoms won their first ever section title.
After trailing the whole game, including by as many as 19-points, the Mounties were able to bring it to within eight before eventually running out of time.
Olivia Langdon put in 15 points for Little Falls, who finishes the year at 19-5.
- Waterville beats Brookfield for Section III Class D Title, Little Falls drops C Title to Syracuse Academy of Science
- Cooperstown girls win Section III Class C title; Little Falls, Madison end tremendous runs in finals
- Oneida tops Adirondack to capture 2019 Section III Class B title
- Notre Dame tops Bishop Grimes for Section III Class A Title, Cooperstown and Madison fall short in finals
- 2017 Section III Football Tournament
- Section III Boys Lacrosse Tournaments
- Section III Girls Lacrosse Tournaments
- Brookfield's Kupris makes school history reaching 1,000 career points, Multiple local teams advance in Section III basketball tournaments
- Holland Patent keeping eyes on section title