Female STEM professionals and supporters are wearing purple today to bring awareness to the need for more women in science, technology, engineering, and math careers.
#DressForSTEM started with an online collaboration among female meteorologists and their desire to inspire girls to pursue higher education in STEM. Women make up nearly half the workforce, but hold only 24% of jobs in science, technology, engineering, and math.
This morning, we were joined by Daniel Kostelec, STEAM Outreach Coordinator and Digital Media Director for Project Fibonacci to talk about the importance of teaching girls early, how to get interested and involved in Science, Math, Engineering and Tech subjects and careers.
Project Fibonacci is holding an event in two weeks and has asked WKTV Meteorologist Jill Reale to sit in as the Panel Moderator at the Utica College Women and STEAM Congress. It will be held on March 28 at Utica College.
Women in STEM, and anyone else who would like to join in solidarity, are encouraged to wear purple on March 14 and share photos on social media using the hashtag #DressForSTEM.
- Wear Purple #DressForSTEM Today
- DiamondDawgs host Purple in the Park night
- Comets recognized as Purple Heart hockey club
- WWII hero's lost Purple Heart returned to his family
- YWCA MV Purple Ribbon Campaign: How you can get involved
- A fish called Wakanda: New purple fish honors 'Black Panther'
- Gold Star, Blue Star families added to Purple Heart Memorial Veterans Park
- Free Backpack Giveaway Today
- Syracuse Orange to wear patches for muscular dystrophy
- Seth Meyers spotted wearing Utica College football sweatshirt