WESTMORELAND, N.Y. -- As the end of the school year nears, the Westmoreland Parent Teacher Organization announced that they will be providing free school supplies to kids in grades kindergarten through sixth come fall!
The PTO set aside around $10,000 for the supply giveaway that they got from various fundraisers throughout the past few years.
The PTO estimates that there will be thousands of pencils, folders and notebooks that will be given away.
Each of the students will receive the same school supplies in order to keep things fair. The PTO says that if it wasn’t for the community, this would not have been possible.
"We have an awesome community that's willing to help out and be there for all of these crazy events that we put on and do,” said Bambi Patterson, the PTO president.
"Well, it takes a lot of pressure off of the parents and it takes a lot of pressure off of the teachers because we both spend a lot of money to provide our kids the supplies, they need to be successful in school. And it’s just an added bonus to not have that worry,” said Wendy Bonomo, a first grade teacher at Westmoreland.
The PTO is still negotiating with which company will provide the supplies. They say that the supplies will be waiting for the kids when they come in for the new school year.
- Westmoreland PTO will provide free school supplies to K-6 students next year
- Comets sign veteran netminder, Michael Leighton, to PTO
- New Westmoreland High School Esports team provides students with unique opportunity for competition
- 7 students uninjured after SUV crashes into Westmoreland school bus
- Westmoreland Pool Fundraiser
- NEWSTALK: Halloween in Westmoreland
- Oneida Square school supply giveaway
- Sangertown Square Mall now providing free WiFi
- Westmoreland residents receive KKK materials
- Westmoreland Masonic Lodge Open House