Remsen, N.Y. - Erin Hamlin of Remsen qualified for her fourth Winter Olympic games on Sunday and then promptly announced that those 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea in February will be her last. She will retire once those games are over.
On Monday, Hamlin spoke to News Channel 2 via Apple's FaceTime from Altenberg, Germany, where she had just arrived for the next stop on the World Cup Luge Circuit where she will race this weekend.
Hamlin says she after Altenberg she will race in two more events before Christmas, and then four more after the New Year, all in preparation for the 2018 Olympic Games in South Korea.
Hamlin says she can relax, sort of, now that she has officially made the U.S. Luge Team, and says she will enjoy her last three months of competition, but is definitely ready for her next step in life, "I'm excited, I'm excited to have new adventures and new things. It'll definitely, I'm sure, be bitter sweet. It's been a long road in my luge career. I've accomplished more than I thought I would and have experienced so much. I think I'll be ready to see what else is out there."
And when asked if she knew what that will be, she said, "I have no idea."
Erin's mom, Eileen Hamlin told News Channel 2 on Monday that it has been an amazing 18 years since Erin first took up the luge at the age of 12 and says these last three months will be stressful for everyone, and exciting at the same time. She says although Erin will enjoy these last three months of her career, she knows Erin has her sights on a possible second Olympic medal, "I know she's going to be gunning for a medal."
- What's next Erin Hamlin after your luge career? "I have no idea."
- Remsen's Erin Hamlin finishes sixth in Olympic luge event
- Erin Hamlin to help coach USA Luge at world championships
- Erin Hamlin back in NY
- Erin Hamlin in 5th place after Runs 1 and 2 of women's singles luge
- Erin Hamlin says goodbye to Lake Placid
- Remsen's Erin Hamlin qualifies for 4th Olympics
- Rep. Claudia Tenney congratulates Erin Hamlin
- 4-time Olympian Erin Hamlin returns home
- Erin Hamlin returns home to hero's welcome