WHITESBORO, NY-- Signs, flowers and blue ribbons can be seen all over the Whitesboro area, just one day after a police officer was killed in a car accident.
"Everybody's devastated I can't imagine what the other [police officers] are going through," said Don Hartman, owner of the Potting Shed Antiques. "It's just, it's heartbreaking."
Hartman has lived in Whitesboro his entire life. He has operated his business in Whitesboro for more 45 years. His son grew up with officer Kevin Crossley. Hartman would often speak with Crossley while he was out on patrol.
"There's been a close bond, actually there has been with all the department," he said. "We tease that they're the best security system we've got, because they sit on our property to do radar patrol. Whitesboro has such a great crew of guys we can't say enough about them."
Crossley even helped Hartman when his business was robbed.
"We recently had been broken into twice in six days, Kevin was always here when I came up," he said.
Some people who didn't even know the officer personally, are still left wondering how this could have happened.
"This one is close to home because I do travel the road everyday," said Scott Fiumara, manager, of Burkart Automotive. "It bothers me, it keeps me up at night. Certainly my thoughts are with his family and the whole situation and how disturbing it really is."
Hartman said he'll always remember Crossely as a great police officer with a positive attitude towards life.
"[He was] always in a good mood, always had a smile, just as friendly as friendly could be," Hartman said. "He's... someone a father would be proud of tremendously, as all of us citizens are in the village. But he's just that type that he just made you feel good he made you feel safe."
- Whitesboro community mourns loss of officer Crossley
- Whitesboro Officer Crossley laid to rest
- Final arrangements in place for Whitesboro officer Crossley
- PHOTOS: Officer Kevin Crossley's funeral
- Whitesboro community reacts to fallen police officer
- Police provide details on Whitesboro crash that killed Officer Kevin Crossley
- Local community pays their final respects to Officer Crossley in Utica
- Calling hours Tuesday for Officer Kevin Crossley; travel advisory issued
- Road closures for Officer Kevin Crossley's funeral Wednesday
- Funeral for Officer Kevin Crossley this morning in Utica