UTICA, N.Y. -- Drifting and blowing snow is causing whiteout conditions. Meteorologist Reid Kisselback has the latest on the road conditions and provides an update on the blustery weather.
In Lewis and Oneida County, travel advisories have been issued. Also Herkimer, Oneida and Lewis counties are under a blizzard warning.
The Oneida County sheriff again on Monday, reiterated that no unnecessary travel throughout the entire county until further notice due to the weather.
The travel advisory in Oneida County is still in effect. No unnecessary travel throughout the entire county until further notice due to near whiteout conditions in many places making travel very dangerous. @OneidaCoSheriff @NYSheriffs pic.twitter.com/jcCrZjqYQn
— Rob Maciol (@SheriffRob) February 25, 2019
Conditions in many places are making travel very dangerous.
State crews are in town assisting National Grid and NYSEG in getting the power back on for those who have lost power.
A few thousand are without power spanning Chenango, Herkimer, Lewis, Madison, Oneida and Otsego counties.
At this point, Herkimer, Oneida, Lewis and Madison counties seeing outages totaling more than 3,000. Chenango and Otsego County have more than 700 power outages so far.
There is a high wind warning for all of Central New York, and a blizzard warning for Lewis and Oneida County into Monday. There is also a winter weather advisory for Herkimer, Hamilton, northern Fulton, and Madison County into Monday.
Very windy conditions continue with blowing and drifting snow creating whiteout conditions. Wind gusts could reach 50-60 miles per hour Monday.
Lake effect snow develops Monday morning into the afternoon with additional accumulation. The highest accumulations look to be north of the Mohawk Valley.
Snow and wind taper off Monday evening.
- Drifting, blowing snow creating whiteout conditions throughout the region
- Road closures: Several roadways impassable due to drifting snow, crashes
- Snow, snow, snow
- Fireworks safety: Don't blow it!
- First widespread snow of the season covers local region
- Glass blowing class on the water
- UPDATE: Cree, Inc. creating 600 jobs in region with new manufacturing facility in Marcy
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Lake-effect storms drop up to 5 feet of snow on Tug Hill region
- Travel Advisories in the region