VERNON, N.Y. -- Representatives from Woodstock 50, complete with their own videographer recording the whole process, walked into the Vernon Town Offices shortly after 10:00 this morning and submitted their appeal/reapplication for an event permit to hold the music festival's 50th anniversary show at Vernon Downs the weekend of August 16.
"Woodstock 50 is here at the Town of Vernon and we are filing an appeal for our permit for a special event and a new application and we hope the town does the right thing.......grant the permit to Vernon Downs for the concert series this summer," said Woodstock 50 co-managing partner, Susan Cronin.
Cronin confirmed that the artists have been paid, but wouldn't say whether or not the festival would happen if it doesn't happen at Vernon Downs. With up to 65,000 people expected at the show, there is a sense of urgency with timing. Tickets would have to be sold. Concert-goers worldwide would have to make plans to attend. The event is supposed to happen in five weeks.
Aware that funding for the festival could be pulled, town officials began reading Woodstock 50s voluminous resubmission and appeal as soon as the music festival reps left the town offices Thursday morning. By the end of the day, the town denied Woodstock's resubmission for a permit. But this merely means the appeal will go forward, with oral arguments by both sides, before the town planning board.
"The lawyer for Woodstock me asked if we could do it today," said Attorney Rossi. "We certainly want to give the public notice and it would be almost impossible to give notice for a hearing that was gonna take place this afternoon, so I'm gonna guess if it's not gonna be over the weekend, Monday would be the date we would shoot for."
Late Thursday, Rossi said that oral arguments would tentatively happen Tuesday night, around 7pm.
- Woodstock 50 files appeal, reapplication, with town
- Woodstock 50 planning on filing 500-page appeal Thursday
- Woodstock 50 to appeal town of Vernon's denied permit
- Vernon Planning Board denies Woodstock 50 appeal
- Griffo weighs in on Vernon Downs-Woodstock 50 filing
- Woodstock 50 submits another application with town of Vernon
- Woodstock 50 cancelled, report says
- Woodstock 50 not giving up on Vernon
- Mug Club: Woodstock Tribute Concert
- UPDATE: Town of Vernon denies permit to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs