WOODSTOCK, NY – Woodstock organizers have announced that the planned three-day 50th anniversary concert has officially been cancelled.
In an email statement sent to NewsChannel 2, co-founder Michael Lang said “We are saddened that a series of unforeseen setbacks has made it impossible to put on the Festival we imagined with the great line-up we had booked and the social engagement we were anticipating. When we lost the Glen and then Vernon Downs we looked for a way to do some good rather than just cancel. We formed a collaboration with HeadCount to do a smaller event at the Merriweather Pavilion to raise funds for them to get out the vote and for certain NGOs involved in fighting climate change. We released all the talent so any involvement on their part would be voluntary. Due to conflicting radius issues in the DC area many acts were unable to participate and others passed for their own reasons. I would like to encourage artists and agents, who all have been fully paid, to donate 10% of their fees to HeadCount or causes of their choice in the spirit of peace. Woodstock remains committed to social change and will continue to be active in support of HeadCount’s critical mission to get out the vote before the next election. We thank the artists, fans and partners who stood by us even in the face of adversity. My thoughts turn to Bethel and its celebration of our 50th Anniversary to reinforce the values of compassion, human dignity, and the beauty of our differences embraced by Woodstock.”
Woodstock 50 had attempted multiple times to schedule a concert at Vernon Downs in mid-August. The Town of Vernon denied Woodstock’s permit applications for several reasons, including lack of adequate plans for security, parking, traffic, and safety.
- Woodstock 50 officially cancels anniversary concert
- Woodstock 50 cancelled, report says
- Mug Club: Woodstock Tribute Concert
- Woodstock fans flock to concert site for anniversary
- Stanley Theater to host Woodstock tribute concert
- The Stanley Theater holds Woodstock 50 tribute concert
- Local food truck headed to Bethel for Woodstock's 50th anniversary concert
- Dig it: Archaeologists scour Woodstock '69 concert field
- NY state kicks in $690K for Woodstock 50th anniversary event
- Planning, preps, underway for Woodstock 50th anniversary show