NEW HARTFORD, N.Y. - The YWCA Mohawk Valley hosted their annual reveal event to announce the 2019 Salute to Outstanding Women award honorees.
Nine women for nine different categories were honored Thursday night.
The honorees and the categories they were selected for are:
Maria Lindsay - Education
Christina Buschmann - Entrepreneur
Dianne DiMeo - Healthcare
Gail Miskowiec - Human and Public Service
Brooke Riscica - Outstanding Youth
Kristen Szarek - Professions/Business and Industry
Olivia Paul - Social Justice
Lisa Davis - STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math)
Sister Lois Paciello - Unsung Heroine
These woman were all nominated for their outstanding work in the community and in their careers.
The YWCA is an organization that is dedicated to empowering women, eliminating racism, and promoting peace.
Each year the YWCA recognizes local women who have made significant contributions and impacts in the community.
A few of the honorees shared some empowering advice.
"Women need to be confident in who they are," Szarek said. "I'm a big supporter of a confident, strong person and that allows you to reach new achievements."
“It's very emotional for me because I feel that everybody has a gift and not everybody has a chance to share that gift," Buschmann said. "Being healthy and being strong and being positive, and I think once they [women] take care of themselves and they build up their self esteem, they feel more empowered to take care of other things in their lives."
“Carve out your own path," Davis said. "I made my own way, so feel free to take a chance and just keep plowing along until you get what you want in life.”
The youngest of the women who were selected says she is honored to be nominated.
“It’s overwhelming honestly because all of these women, they’re adults, they’ve had their whole lives to accomplish such amazing things and I’m only 17 years old," Riscica said. "The fact that I’m standing here next to all of these accomplished women is really just overwhelming and I’m so honored and excited about the whole thing."
The Salute for Outstanding Women dinner will be held May 9th. Congratulations to all of the nominees and winners.
- YWCA Mohawk Valley reveals the 2019 Salute to Outstanding Women award honorees
- YWCA Mohawk Valley salutes outstanding women in the community
- YWCA Mohawk Valley celebrates 30th annual Salute to Outstanding Women Awards
- NEWSTALK: Salute to Outstanding Women
- NewsTalk: Nomination process for Salute to Outstanding Women 2019
- Salute to Outstanding Women luncheon welcomes Class of 2019
- YWCA Mohawk Valley talks plans for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Julie’s Christmas Wishes Program donates to YWCA Mohawk Valley
- YWCA Mohawk Valley gets $4.8 million grant for support programs
- Dozens rally to eliminate racism at the Mohawk Valley YWCA in Utica