ILION, N.Y. – Firefighters were on scene at a structure fire in Ilion Tuesday night, where thick white smoke consumed the neighborhood for hours.
The fire broke out at a house on the corner of East Street and East State Street around 10:30 p.m. Ilion Fire Chief Bob Paddock says the home was fully engulfed in flames by the time crews arrived on scene, and it took about two hours to put out.
Paddock says that the family who lives there was not home at the time, and neighbors heard the fire crackling and contacted 911. No injuries were reported.
The house appears to be a total loss, according to Paddock, and the residents are now staying with family. The local American Red Cross was also called to assist them.
Mohawk, Frankfort and Herkimer fire departments assisted at the scene, along with the local power company.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
- Cause of Ilion house fire under investigation
- Ilion Fire Chief Retires
- UPDATE: Fire chief says Ilion house fire 'accidental'
- Family of 6 escape house fire in Ilion
- Neighbors rescue man from roof of house fire in Ilion
- Ilion water problems continue
- Newstalk: Ilion Little Theatre
- Ilion standoff ends peacefully
- Officials investigating Middlefield house fire
- Ilion Fire Department names new chief