MILFORD, N.Y. -- Three Otsego County residents have been charged, including a 16-year-old, after eight deer were found dead in Milford back in November.
After reports to the Department of Environmental Conversation about carcasses found in fields along County Highway 53, DEC police officers, and state police investigated.
They discovered that the deer died of gunshot wounds, and the bodies were sent in for testing.
Wayne Shutter, 20 of the town of Maryland, Joziah Underwood, 19 of the town of Schenevus, and a 16-year-old are facing a number of Environmental Conservation Law violations.
A total of 146 charges were levied against the three, including: taking deer with the aid of an artificial light, discharging a firearm from a public highway, possessing a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, hunting big game during closed hours, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.
Three additional dead deer were found related to the incident, and two firearms were confiscated by authorities.
If convicted, they face up to a year in jail or fines of up to $2,000 for each charge.
- 11 dead deer: Three Otsego County residents charged with slew of illegal hunting violations
- Two men arrested, accused of illegal hunting in Otsego County
- Search leads to drug charges for 3 Otsego County residents
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County Sheriff's race
- Otsego County seeking governmental improvements
- Mug Club: Otsego County Fair
- Otsego County dog seizure update
- New York's main season for deer and bear hunting begins