There's a new effort to get more people to visit Otsego County, and the details were detailed at the tourism summit held in Cooperstown Wednesday night.
Organizers presented an overview of the goals and initiatives set by the county tourism program. The Destination Marketing Corporation of Otsego County (DMCOC) introduced their plan to promote the county using different strategies.
The goal is to encourage overnight visitation and have repeat tourists in order to boost the economic impact.
Wednesday's presentations began in the Bullpen Theatre inside the National Baseball Hall of Fame Museum in Cooperstown. Directors outlined the 2018 media plan to market Otsego County for multiple different reasons: baseball, fine arts & culture, craft beverages and family-friendly travel.
This goal will be accomplished with an aggressive digitial campaign such as retargeting, heavy use of social media and new this year, and radio/Spotify advertisements.
The new DMCOC director Cassandra Harrington agrees that while baseball is a main attraction, it's not the only one.
"That's one of the things we hear all the time is that Cooperstown is kind of a bucket list item or when I go to travel shows I get couples that come up to the table and say 'well, he's been trying to drag me here for years. And I say well okay, there's plenty of other things to do, eat. And if you're really opposed to baseball, drop him off at the museum and then you can walk down Main Street, there's all sorts of shopping, there's a spa within walking distance."
After the individual presentations, there was a panel discussion to allow people to ask the tourism professionals about the program and how they can help in this process.
- Tourism summit held in Cooperstown to increase economic impact in Otsego County
- Panel discusses options for future economic development in Otsego County
- Summit hopes to solve energy problems facing Otsego County
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County Sheriff's race
- Oneida County promotes tourism during National Travel and Tourism Week
- Otsego County seeking governmental improvements
- Mug Club: Otsego County Fair
- Otsego County dog seizure update